As small and friendly as Havaneses are, they’re not exempt from certain health issues. One common problem Havaneses face is ear infections. This article will share 11 tips for treating and preventing ear infections in Havaneses, highlighting the benefits of Omega-3 in their diet.
iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
1. Regular Ear Cleaning and Checks
Routine checks and cleaning can prevent wax build-up and early detection of infections. A vet-approved cleaner can be used, but over-cleaning should be avoided to prevent irritation.
Our favorite ear cleaner is these PetMD brand ear wipes on Amazon.
2. Dry Ears After Swimming or Bathing
Havanese may enjoy the water, but moisture in their ears can lead to infections. Make sure to dry your Havanese ears thoroughly after they swim or bathe.
3. Incorporate Omega-3 Fatty Acids into Their Diet
Omega-3 fatty acids can help manage inflammation caused by allergies, which often lead to ear infections. Include Omega-3-rich foods or supplements in your Havanese diet.
We’re fans of this Norwegian salmon oil on Amazon. It’s a bright orangish-pink color and has no fishy smell at all due to it’s ultra high purity.
4. Regular Veterinary Check-ups
Frequent vet visits can detect potential ear infections early, preventing them from becoming severe conditions.
5. Identify and Eliminate Allergens
If your Havanese is allergic to certain substances, they may develop ear infections. Identify these allergens and eliminate them from their environment and diet.
A few good supplements to help your dog’s allergies are apple cider vinegar, quercetin, and colostrum, all of which are found in many natural allergy supplements like this one.
6. Stay Current with Vaccinations and Parasite Control
Keeping your Havanese up-to-date with vaccinations and regular parasite control can boost their immune system, reducing the risk of ear infections.
7. Use Vet-prescribed Medication for Existing Infections
If your Havanese has an ear infection, your vet may prescribe antibiotics or antifungal medication. Ensure the treatment plan is followed exactly for effective results.
8. Consider Surgical Intervention for Chronic Cases
In severe or chronic ear infection cases, your vet might recommend surgical intervention to improve ear canal drainage and aeration.
9. Incorporate Probiotics in Your Havanese Diet
Probiotics can help maintain a healthy gut microbiome, boosting the immune system and potentially reducing the risk of ear infections.
10. Use an E-Collar During Treatment
An e-collar can prevent your Havanese from scratching their infected ears, reducing further damage or irritation.
11. Maintain a Clean Living Environment
A clean living environment can help prevent various health issues, including ear infections.
FAQs on Ear Infections in Havaneses
1. Q: What are signs of an ear infection in Havaneses?
A: Symptoms include frequent scratching, head shaking, redness, swelling, abnormal ear discharge, and a foul smell from the ears.
2. Q: Are Havaneses more prone to ear infections?
A: Their ear structure can make Havaneses more susceptible to ear infections, but individual factors, such as allergies or a weakened immune system, also play a role.
3. Q: How often should I clean my Havanese’s ears?
A: Clean a healthy Havanese’s ears once a week. If your dog is prone to ear infections, you may need to clean them more often.
4. Q: Can Omega-3 in their diet prevent ear infections?
A: Omega-3 fatty acids can help manage inflammation due to allergies, potentially reducing the risk of ear infections.
5. Q: Can ear infections cause permanent damage in Havaneses?
A: Yes, untreated ear infections can lead to complications, including hearing loss. Therefore, prompt treatment is essential.
6. Q: Can I use human ear infection medicine on my Havanese?
A: No. Always use medication as prescribed by your vet. Human medications may not be safe or effective for dogs.
7. Q: What are common allergens for Havaneses?
A: Common allergens include certain foods, dust mites, pollen, and certain cleaning products.
8. Q: How can I incorporate Omega-3 into my Havanese’s diet?
A: Omega-3 can be added to your dog’s diet through Omega-3-rich foods like fish and flaxseeds, or via supplements.
9. Q: Can I prevent all ear infections in my Havanese?
A: It’s challenging to prevent all ear infections, but the strategies mentioned above can significantly reduce the risk.
10. Q: What should I do if my Havanese’s ear infections keep recurring?
A: Recurrent ear infections may suggest an underlying issue like allergies or anatomical abnormalities. Consult your vet for a comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan.
In conclusion, prevention and early detection are crucial for managing ear infections in Havaneses. With these strategies, you can ensure a healthier and happier life for your furry companion.