Finally, some good news for pet owners!
IRCTC is all set to facilitate online ticket booking for cats and dogs for AC-1 class in trains. The Ministry of Railways might also give pet booking rights to TTE so that pet parents can take their pets and travel with them comfortably.
Presently, if passengers want to take their pets with them while traveling on a train, they must book tickets first at the booking counter. Then, their pets can travel in a box in second-class luggage and a brake van.
Earlier, they had to book entire coupes with two or four berths in AC first class, and the fee was also relatively high. Moreover, if a dog was carried in a dog box, the luggage rates applicable to the specific train were levied at 30 kg per dog. However, the permissible weight limit per dog in the AC first class was 60 kg.
IRCTC devised specific rules for traveling with animals. For example, domestic animals like cats and dogs can travel with their owner. In contrast, other animals can be transported in separate coaches to avoid disturbance.
Pet parents have to follow the following IRCTC guidelines to travel with their four-legged friend:
- Irrespective of whether the passenger has a PRS or an IRCTC- online ticket, owners have to bring their dog or cat to the luggage office at least three hours before the train’s scheduled departure.
- A passenger carrying a dog in an AC First Class or First Class coupe must pay the relevant baggage fees.
- Pets are prohibited in AC2 tier, AC 3 tier, AC Chair Car, Sleeper, and Second-Class compartments. If any passenger objects the dog’s presence in the compartment, the canine friend will be transferred to the guard’s van. In this scenario, the pet parent will not get any refund.
- While booking an online pet ticket, a veterinarian certification is required, stating the species, color, and gender of the pet dog.
- The pet owner is solely responsible for their pet’s food, water, and safe travel.
Passengers are permitted to carry puppies in a basket in all classes of accommodation.
IRCTC online ticket booking is a big relief for pet parents who want to travel with their furry friends hassle-free.