* Petmoo is reader-supported. When you buy products via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Beagles and Basset Hounds are two of the most popular hound breeds in the world.
While they have some similarities, they also have several differences in their appearance, temperament, health, and exercise needs.
In this guide, we’ll compare Beagles and Basset Hounds in detail, to help you decide which breed is the best fit for you.
- Beagles are smaller than Basset Hounds, weighing between 18 to 30 pounds and standing 13 to 15 inches tall.
- Basset Hounds are larger than Beagles, weighing between 40 to 60 pounds and standing 12 to 15 inches tall.
- Beagles have a short, smooth coat that comes in various colors, including black, tan, and white.
- Basset Hounds have a short, smooth coat that comes in tri-color or bi-color combinations of white, black, and brown.
- Beagles are known for their friendly, outgoing, and energetic personalities. They love to play and interact with their owners and are great with children.
- Basset Hounds are more laid-back and relaxed compared to Beagles. They are gentle, easy-going, and loyal, making them great family pets.
- Both breeds are prone to certain health issues, such as hip dysplasia, ear infections, and eye problems.
- Beagles are also prone to obesity, which can lead to other health problems such as diabetes, arthritis, and heart disease.
- Basset Hounds are prone to back problems due to their long spine, and they may also suffer from bloat, a life-threatening condition.
- Beagles are high-energy dogs and require regular exercise and mental stimulation to prevent destructive behaviors.
- Basset Hounds are more low-key and have lower exercise needs than Beagles. They enjoy daily walks and playtime, but they are content with lounging around the house.
- Both breeds can be stubborn and independent, making training a challenge. However, with patience and consistency, they can learn basic obedience commands and some fun tricks.
- Beagles have a strong prey drive, which can make recall training difficult. Basset Hounds can also be stubborn and may require extra motivation to learn new commands.
- Beagles are one of the most popular dog breeds in the world, ranking 6th in the AKC’s most popular breeds list.
- Basset Hounds are also a popular breed, ranking 39th on the AKC’s list.
Beagles and Basset Hounds are both lovable and loyal breeds with distinct personalities and traits.
While Beagles are more energetic and require more exercise, Basset Hounds are more laid-back and have lower exercise needs.
Consider your lifestyle and preferences before choosing which breed is right for you.