- Is it dangerous if your dog eats edibles?
- Symptoms of marijuana poisoning to look out for
- Is CBD safe for dogs?
- What to do if your dog ate weed
- What’s the outlook if your dog eats edibles?
- To conclude
Has your pup been inspired by Snoop Dogg and reached for a bag of your buds from sativa seeds? When a dog eats edibles, it can pose a serious threat to its health.
As more people buy weed and consumables, cases of pets consuming space brownies and gummies are on the rise. If you suspect your dog tasted some forbidden treats, you’ve come to the right place.
Read on as we tell you more about the signs to look out for and steps to take.
Is it dangerous if your dog eats edibles?
Cannabis is perfectly safe for humans and almost impossible to overdose on. If you’re aware of the multitude of possible health benefits for people, it may tempt you to give some to your pet.
What happens if a dog eats an edible? Weed isn’t the same for your furry friend.
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is one of the main active compounds in weed, and it’s highly toxic to dogs. Regardless of the form it comes in, whether brownies or buds, it can severely threaten their health.
Symptoms of marijuana poisoning to look out for
So, what happens if a dog eats an edible gummy or other consumables? It causes moderate to severe symptoms and can be fatal in some cases.
The severity of reactions also depends on the ingredients in the product. Most edibles contain things like chocolate, raisins, and xylitol which cause toxicity and create a dual-poison issue that’s harder to treat.
Here are some warning signs that reveal your dog could have gotten into your secret stash. They may:
- Seem sensitive to sound and touch
- Stumble and appear “drunk”
- Experience urinary incontinence
- Have tremors or start shaking uncontrollably
- Seem agitated and snappy
- Become extremely lethargic and may begin to fall over
- Have a very low or very high heart rate
- Start panting rapidly
It could take between 30–60 minutes for reactions to occur and could happen faster if they inhaled some of the product. The effects can last from 18–24 hours but don’t let your dog “sleep it off.” The longer it’s left untreated, the more deadly it becomes.
If the symptoms get extreme, your dog could go into a coma or pass away. It can cause long-term damage and traumatize your pet.
Is CBD safe for dogs?
Can you give your dog weed edibles if they only contain CBD? Cannabidiol (CBD) is another naturally occurring chemical compound derived from marijuana. It’s non-psychoactive and doesn’t cause the side effects of the ‘high.’
Unlike THC, your furry friend can tolerate CBD much better. It’s unlikely to cause severe effects in low to moderate doses.
Many people use these products for their proposed medicinal benefits, but can dogs be allergic to CBD or get sick from it? Dogs rarely have allergic reactions to it, and many vets are using CBD to treat medical issues like anxiety, pain, and seizures in dogs
A recent clinical trial found that cannabidiol has shown promise in treating pain-related conditions like osteoarthritis in dogs.
Learn how to give your dog CBD oil the proper way to prevent adverse reactions. Remember that CBD isn’t Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulated, so product quality and ingredients may not be certain.
Your safest bet is to grow high CBD seeds and produce the oil from scratch. By making your own, you know your concentrate is free from chemicals and mold that could harm your dog.
What to do if your dog ate weed
So your dog got into your extra special cookie jar, and now you don’t know what to do if your dog ate weed. As much as we want to say, “Don’t freak out, it’ll be okay,”; we can’t.
If you suspect your pet has consumed cannabis with THC and is showing the symptoms of weed poisoning, act fast.
Immediately get your dog into the car. If it’s too drowsy, it may have trouble walking, so you’ll need to carry it. Some dogs may get aggressive, so wrap them in a blanket so they feel less threatened and you have some bite protection.
Here are some things you should avoid:
- Giving them food. It can push the weed deeper into the digestive tract and make it harder for vets to induce vomiting.
- Screaming or yelling. If your pet is distressed, speak calmly to prevent them from becoming more afraid.
- Giving them water or milk. The vet will use intravenous fluids if required. Feeding them water or milk may aid the digestion of THC, causing more severe reactions.
If you act within 30 minutes, the vet will try to induce vomiting and save your fur baby from severe reactions. After 30 mins, the digestion process is churning. They’ll implement other methods like:
- Anti-nausea medication
- Anti-anxiety pills for tremors or seizures
- Activated charcoal to reduce the levels of THC in the stomach
- Intravenous (IV) fluids via a catheter
- Temperature therapy
- Intralipid therapy
What’s the outlook if your dog eats edibles?
The outlook is good if you go to the vet soon after your dog eats edibles. Most pets fully recover in 1–2 days, but some require a little more time.
The severity and recovery time depend on these factors:
- Dosage consumed
- Other toxic ingredients like chocolate
- Your dogs’ size and age (caring for senior dogs with poisoning is trickier)
- If they inhaled weed smoke
- Pre-existing medical conditions
You need to act fast if you have a dog on edibles. THC is highly toxic to them and can cause severe reactions and even death.
Keep your cannabis consumables in a locked cupboard or refrigerator to prevent them from getting their paws on them.