* Petmoo is reader-supported. When you buy products via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
- Ocular Melanosis
Home Remedies For Watery Eyes
1. Check Out For Any Eye Or Eyelid Abnormalities:
Watery eyes can result from abnormalities with diseases of the eye, eyelids, foreign bodies in the eye, any infection, or can be hereditary. For instance, brachycephalic dogs with the anatomical “squished or flattened” face can often have tear duct drainage-related problems. When the underlying condition or disease is treated, excessive tearing gets reduced. Watery eyes aren’t a deadly condition, but they can eventually lead to eye conditions. Check with your vet to decipher the underlying cause.
Based on the cause, watery eyes will be treated with either drugs (to keep the eyes moisturized) or surgical treatment to correct the damage.
2. Food Supplements For Healthy Eyes:
Foods containing vitamins A, C, carotenoids, beta-carotene, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, lycopene, glutathione, phytonutrients – and the special partnership of zeaxanthin and lutein (natural sunblock).
- Pick seafood over the usual beef and chicken.
- Leafy greens such as cabbage, spinach, kale, collard, etc.
- Omega-3 oily fishes such as sardine, cod, salmon, tuna, herring, etc.
- Plant / Non-meat protein sources such as Chickpeas, Peanuts, Beans, Lentils, Eggs, etc.
- Citrus fruits or juices.
- Tomatoes, Pumpkin, Sweet potatoes, etc.
- Pork, Tuna, Oysters (zinc foods).
- Blueberries, Beets, Broccoli, Red cabbage, Carrots.
3. Eye Cleansing Products:
Use sterile single-doses of physiological saline or a non-Irritating eye cleansing agent: Such as lactated Ringer’s solution or Eye Scrubs.
Apply a clean washcloth in mild heat for 5 to 10 minutes, avoiding surfaces of the eyes and this will relax the pores (3 to 4 times daily).
Apply chamomile tea cold compress (it has mild antiseptic properties) and clean the affected eye.